Tuesday 1 March 2011

Pain and Prejudice

So, I decided to start a new workout routine yesterday-and my muscles are letting me know that I am really out of shape. However, I got my pancakes yesterday after the gym, so it was worth it.

Apparently, most Canadians acknowledge that poverty is an issue but mhave misconceptions about it. Anyone who reads the comments in any newspaper story about welfare, First nations or halfway houses knows this. My favourite comment was from a young man I meet at a conference in the US who identified as Republican. I got into a conversation with him because a) I had never met a 'real live' Republican before (Conservatives here still have nothing on them no matter how hard they try) and b) he didn't like George Bush (he wasn't a 'real' republican because he spent too much money). I mentioned having seen a 'tent city' in a park just outside the downtown core and he said 'Well, they like the lifestyle'. Huh? Really? I pointed out to him that in Toronto that a) the homeless population skyrocketed when they closed down the mental hospitals (Thank you Mike Harris) and b) people generally do not 'choose' to be homeless in January when it's minus 20 outside.
I've noticed that those living in poverty always get a bad rap. Technically, I'm barely above the poverty line myself, but that is because I was student for many years-I at least have an education that will eventually get me a job that will pay more than minimum wage (noticed I said eventually). But whenever budgets are cut, it is always the poor and vulnerable who get the shaft-it is the people with the least power who are most affected by government decisions, and yet we blame them when things go wrong. I'm pretty sure the amount of tax fraud and corporate welfare by the wealthiest people far outstrips similar fraud of welfare or even dollar going to reserves (another favourite-they-don't-pay-taxes-so-why-should-they-get-anything target). European countries I think may have a better attitude towards helping the less fortunate perhaps because of their lack of social manoeuverability.There is an understanding that it hard to climb out of poverty. In North America we have this notion that if you work hard enough, you will be successful (and there certainly lots of people who embodied that notion). However, it is getting much harder to do that-real wages haven't increased, and we are actually working harder-the rich are getting richer and they don't want to pay taxes (given how many millionaires live in California, there should be no reason it is bankrupt-except that no one can raise taxes). So yes, while I am sure there are 'lazy' poor people, as someone teaching in a university where the majority of students are middle and upper-class, I can assure you, that there are plenty of lazy people out there who aren't poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment