Wednesday 9 March 2011

Boobs and Mining

So I went to the conference I was alluding to last post. I guess it's a good sign that there were lots of 'booth bunnies'-attractive women in skimpy clothing who are hired to attract business. This has always been a part of the conference-much to the chagrin of the increasing number of women in the industry. I kind of take it with a grain of salt. No one is forcing these women to be a part of this-and the companies who do it are obviously not ones who are into corporate social responsibility. So the message is simple-booth bunnies will become a thing of the past when people stop investing in companies that promote style over substance-or boobs over rocks.
On the upside, for any young wannabe or current geologists the market is improving. Companies are hiring again, and even with my rather odd-albeit diverse- background, I had more than a few interested companies.So at least if my academic career goes down in flames, at least I won't have to sling burgers to make ends meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment