Saturday 26 February 2011

I shouldn't read the comments...

Saturday morning breakfast, coffee and (online) newspaper. The local rag has some interesting stories as unusual, and I always scroll down to see the comments. I know I shouldn't-it is the place for trolls and racist, stupid and sometimes just downright crazy people. But I do. I have this idea (misguided or not) that I need to keep abreast of what 'normal' (i.e. non-academic) people think. Those of us who are over-educated have a tendency to think the same way about major social issues. I have found while sitting at the pub over beers, we are often on the same side-our disagreements are more of an academic and often esoteric nature (science vs. social science, the state of universities, whining students and the fact that none of us are getting jobs that reflect our education). The online comments of the newspaper remind me that not all people think the same way I do. The problem with this seemingly benign hobby is that I get unbelievably angry. I recognize that people are stupid, ignorant and just plain wrong, but there is something about actually being confronted with it that makes my blood boil. So, do I ignore the fact that there are people who think differently than I do, or do I accept that people are assholes?

No comments:

Post a Comment